Prokard Loyalty Programme ("Prokard") – Terms & Conditions ("Terms & Conditions")
Your participation in Prokard will be governed by the Terms & Conditions set out below. These Terms & Conditions are binding and enforceable against every Prokard Member ("Member"; "you"; "your").
If you have any queries or concerns in relation to these Terms & Conditions please call 0861 11 9000 or +27 21 4305000 or visit the website at www.proteahotels.com.
The reference to "Protea Hotels" in these Terms & Conditions is to all "Participating Hotels" referred to below and where relevant, the relevant entity forming part of the Protea group of companies that manages and administers Prokard.
These Terms & Conditions contain certain terms and conditions which appear in similar text and style to this clause and which:
- may limit the risk or liability of Protea Hotels or a third party;
- may create risk or liability for you;
- may compel you to indemnify Protea Hotels or a third party; and/or
- serve as an acknowledgement, by you, of a fact.
Your attention is drawn to these Terms & Conditions because they are important and should be carefully noted.
Nothing in these Terms & Conditions are intended to or must be understood to unlawfully restrict, limit or avoid any rights or obligations, as the case may be, created for either you or Protea Hotels in terms of the Consumer Protection Act, 68 of 2008 ("CPA").
What is Prokard?
Prokard is the loyalty programme of Protea Hotels offering benefits, privileges and rewards to Members ("Prokard Benefits") in relation to accommodation at various Protea Hotels and African Pride Superior Deluxe Hotels, Lodges and Country Houses and selected Protea Hotels and African Pride Hotels outside of South Africa ("Participating Hotel/s"). Please note however the restrictions and conditions applicable to Particpating Hotels outside of South Africa set out below.
A full guide to all Participating Hotels (and whether Prokard Benefits and Prokard Rands are applicable at such hotel/s) and all Protea Hotels and African Pride properties as well as associated restaurants is available at at www.proteahotels.com.
Members earn loyalty credits ("Prokard Rands") based on a South African Rand amount spent on hotel room accommodation ("Nett Room Revenue").
In certain instances, where Members are staying with a Participating Hotel using special group rates (for example, as part of an airline crew, convention group, sporting team, education group, or a group utilising special tour operator rates), Prokard Benefits may be restricted and Members will not be able to accumulate Prokard Rands.
Neither Protea Hotels nor Prokard guarantees or warrants that any or all of the Prokard Benefits will be available at Participating Hotels at all times. Protea Hotels and Prokard reserve the right to change, modify, limit or cancel any of the Prokard Benefits at anytime. This includes increasing or decreasing any requirements for a reward, changing the value of rewards or limiting the availability of rewards, and changing Prokard partners.
Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) are applicable at Participating Hotels only. Please note that some hotels may only provide Prokard Benefits, excluding Prokard Rands.
Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) are not applicable at any hotel that leaves the Protea Hotel or African Pride Superior Deluxe Hotels, Lodges & Country Houses portfolio. Prokard cannot be used to earn or redeem Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) at the various hotel brands that fall under Marriott International.
Membership and fees
Any individual over 18 years may join Prokard by paying an annual membership fee ("Membership Fee") where applicable.
Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) for paying members are only available for as long as you remain a fully paid up Member of Prokard. No Membership Fees are applicable to members granted complimentary or free membership such as platinum members. When your Prokard membership terminates for any reason and you do not renew your Prokard membership, all Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) also terminate.
Once your Prokard membership is terminated the validity period (please see "Validity Period" below) of your Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) will continue, however, you will not have access to your Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) until such time that you have renewed your Prokard membership and paid your Prokard Membership fee in full. It is important to note that your Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) cannot be extended beyond the validity period thereof.
Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) are not transferable to any third party and/or your spouse, but your spouse may enjoy your benefits if he/she is accompanying or staying with you.
The Membership Fee, where applicable, will entitle you to enjoy all Prokard Benefits.
If you joined Prokard as a result of being approached in person or after having received communication via the post, telephone, email or any other electronic communication, you are entitled to cancel your Prokard membership without providing reasons and without cost or penalty to you on written notice to Protea Hotels within 5 (five) business days of joining Prokard, failing which your Prokard membership shall continue on these Terms & Conditions.
Prokard rands: earning and spending
How to earn Prokard Rands
Each time you stay with us at any Participating Hotel you will earn up to 10% (ten percent) (depending on your Prokard membership level) of your Nett Room Revenue in Prokard Rands.
Your "Nett Room Revenue" is that portion of your final hotel bill charged for your room only, and excludes any meals, drinks, spa treatments, telephone calls, laundry charges, or any other extras as applicable, and excluding Value Added Tax or any other levies or taxes.
You earn Prokard Rands at a fixed rate according to your membership level.
- Bronze Members receive 2.5% (two and a half percent) of your "Nett Room Revenue".
- Silver Members receive 5% (five percent) of your "Nett Room Revenue".
- Gold Members receive 10% (ten percent) of your "Nett Room Revenue".
- Platinum Members receive 10% (ten percent) of your "Nett Room Revenue".
Prokard Rands are calculated and updated 3 (three) business days after your departure.
Value of Prokard Rands
One Prokard Rand equals R1 (one South African Rand).
Prokard Rands of Silver and Gold Members are valid for a period of 24 (twenty four) months from the date earned by you.
Prokard Rands of Bronze Members are valid for a period of 12 (twelve) months from the date earned by you.
Prokard Rands of Platinum Member's will not expire for as long as you are a Platinum Member.
How to spend or redeem your Prokard Rands
You may redeem your Prokard Rands as follows:
- directly at any one of the Participating Hotels that you are staying at ( "the Redeeming Hotel" ),
- online at www.proteahotels.com, or
- via our Call Centre (0861 11 9000 or +27 21 4305000) whenever it suits you best during the validity period.
Prokard Rands may be redeemed towards the partial or full payment of (i) your total hotel bill of any future stay ("Redemption Bookings") at a Participating Hotel, or (ii) your Prokard membership, subject to "The Restrictions on Benefits and the Redemption of Prokard Rands" below.
Please note that Redemption Bookings cannot be modified as all eligible Prokard Rands are automatically deducted and used at the time of booking. Bookings must be cancelled, and a new booking will be required should you wish to change your booking. Your Prokard Rands cannot be refunded where there is a "no show" for any guaranteed booking or where a booking is cancelled outside of the time allowed in terms of Protea Hotel's standard terms & conditions for reservations. Please refer to the Standard Terms & Conditions at www.proteahotels.com
The Participating Hotel reserve the right to request positive identification from you (by way of your valid Prokard membership card and proof of identity) during Prokard Rand redemption transactions.
Members are required to notify Protea Hotels via the Call Centre (0861 11 9000 or +27 21 430 5000) in the event of a lost/stolen Prokard membership card.
In addition to the redemption of your Prokard Rands towards the partial or full payment of your total hotel bill, your Prokard membership entitles you to further benefits, accommodation benefits, dining benefits and partner benefits (depending on your membership level) as set out below.
DISCOUNTED RATES 365 (three hundred and sixty five) DAYS A YEAR (exclusive to Silver, Gold & Platinum Members)
Silver and Gold Members (receive a 10% (ten percent) discount and Platinum Members receive a 15% (fifteen percent) discount off the best available public rate of the day at all Participating Hotels, including during peak season, and a 5% (five percent) discount off any special offer rate advertised on ww.proteahotels.com and our weekend rates ("Prokard Discounted Rates").
HOTEL ROOM UPGRADES (exclusive to Silver, Gold & Platinum Members)
When you book into a Participating Hotel, enquire at reception about your complimentary room upgrade. Subject to availability at the discretion of the hotel's management, you will be given an upgrade to the next room type, at no additional charge.
- Hotel room upgrades are subject to availability of rooms on the day of arrival.
- Due to high demand and at the discretion of the hotel's management, hotel room upgrades may not be granted over public holidays, school holidays or during any major sporting event, festival or peak period.
EARLY ARRIVAL AND LATE CHECK-OUT PRIVILEGES (exclusive to Silver, Gold & Platinum Members)
Subject to availability and at the discretion of the hotel's management, Silver, Gold and Platinum Members are entitled to enjoy early arrival and late check-out privileges at no additional charge. Please advise upon booking if an early arrival or late departure will be required and the hotel will endeavour to ensure your room is made available for you. This will only be confirmed on the day of arrival and/or departure.
Early Arrival & Late Check-out privileges are subject to availability of rooms on the day of arrival and/or departure and will remain at the discretion of the hotel's management. Due to high demand, this privilege may not be granted over public holidays, school holidays or during any major sporting event, festival or peak period.
DINING BENEFITS (exclusive to Gold & Platinum Members)
For Gold and Platinum Members, your Prokard membership entitles you to dining discounts for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner at certain restaurants at selected Participating Hotels, whether you are a resident in the hotel or simply visiting for a meal.
Please visit www.proteahotels.com to download our Hotel & Restaurant Guide for a list of our participating restaurants.
- Receive 25% (twenty five percent) off your food bill when you dine alone.
- Receive 50% (fifty percent) off your food bill when 2 (two) people dine.
- Receive 33% (thirty three percent) off your food bill when 3 (three) people dine.
- Receive 25% (twenty five percent) off your food bill when 4 (four) to 12 (twelve) people dine.
- Only 1 (one) Prokard may be used per table or per reservation and must be presented on arrival at the restaurant.
- The dining discount does not apply to your beverage bill and, furthermore, only applies to the menu in the hotel's main restaurant (and excludes any terrace, pool or bar menu).
- Your dining discount will not apply on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, or for other special events, promotions, room service or in conjunction with rates inclusive of meals.
- Dining discounts are not applicable for room service.
PARTNER BENEFITS (exclusive to Silver, Gold & Platinum Members)
All fully paid-up Silver, Gold and Platinum Members are entitled to exclusive preferential rates for vehicle rentals via Budget-Rent-a-Car in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.
Reserving your car is simple. Call Budget-Rent-a-Car Central Reservations on 086 101 6622 or +27 (11) 398 0123 and quote your 8 (eight) digit Prokard Member number. To book online, go to www.budget.co.za, click on the Prokard logo on the front page and enter your 8 (eight) digit Prokard Member number.
To become a member of the Budget-Rent-a-Car Rapidrez Programme and make your car rental experiences simpler, call Budget-Rent-a-Car.
- Members must produce their identity document, credit card and valid Prokard membership card with each rental.
- Your discount applies to standard rates as set out in the current standard Budget Rent-a-Car rental brochure. Your discount does not apply to excess waivers and cannot be used in conjunction with any corporate rates.
Prokard Platinum Members are entitled to platinum car hire rates with Budget-Rent-a-Car for rentals in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.
Rates include: Super Insurance, Airport Surcharges, Tourism Levy, Value Added Tax, unlimited mileage, additional driver fee and contract fee. You will also receive 5% (five percent) off any special rates advertised by Budget–Rent-a-Car in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana should your platinum rate be higher than the special rate offered.
Restrictions on benefits and the redemption of Prokard Rands
Bronze Members will earn Prokard Rands from the second stay at a Participating Hotel.
Silver, Gold and Platinum Members may redeem any value of Prokard Rands.
Bronze Members require a minimum of 100 (one hundred) Prokard Rands before Prokard Rands may be redeemed. Prokard Rands may not be transferred to any other individual, even if that other individual is also a Member.
Prokard Rands may be used towards the partial or full payment of your total hotel bill, including the costs of other services, facilities or amenities (for example: meals, beverages, telephone or laundry services).
The accumulation and redemption of Prokard Rands and all other Prokard Benefits are subject to the standard terms and conditions and rights of admission of Protea Hotels and/or the Participating Hotels.
Protea Hotels and Prokard reserve the right at any time, in their sole discretion, to suspend, cancel or withdraw your membership, or any Prokard Benefits, in the event that you (1) breach or contravene these Terms & Conditions for any other reason whatsoever (including non-payment of fees), (2) engage in any misconduct or wrongdoing in connection with Prokard or Prokard Rands, or (3) engage in abusive, fraudulent, inappropriate or hostile conduct in connection with Prokard, Prokard Rands, Participating Hotels or their guests or employees in which event any and all Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands), to the extent legally permitted, will be forfeited by you.
PROKARD OUTSIDE OF SOUTH AFRICA
Prokard Rands will only be earned at selected Protea Hotels and African Pride Hotels outside of South Africa. Members will be required to collect bonus stamps when travelling into Africa where Prokard Rands cannot be earned. Members will earn 2 (two) complimentary nights' accommodation for every 20 (twenty) nights spent on Prokard-related rates.
"ONCE-OFF" JOINING BENEFITS FOR GOLD MEMBERS - VALUE ADD E-VOUCHERS
On joining Prokard as a Gold Member, you will receive a set of complimentary value-add accommodation e-vouchers ("Vouchers") as set out below. This is only applicable to paid Prokard Gold Members and shall not extend to complimentary membership.
Redeem your Vouchers via: (i) your online profile on www.proteahotels.com; (ii) our Central Reservations Office on 0861 11 9000; or (iii) directly with the Redeeming Hotel; provided that you are a fully paid-up Member.
Prokard Gold Members will receive the following package of Vouchers:
- 1 (one) x Complimentary Night Voucher – Enjoy one complimentary night's accommodation at any 3 (three) or 4 (four) star Protea Hotel. (Please note that this is not applicable at African Pride Hotels.)
- 3 (three) x Stay 1 (one) Get 1 (one) Complimentary Voucher – Enjoy 1 (one) complimentary night's accommodation at any 3 (three) or 4 (four) star Protea Hotel, when you spend one night on your Prokard rate. (Please note that this is not applicable at African Pride Hotels.)
- 2 (two) x Stay 1 (one) Get 1 (one) Complimentary Voucher – Enjoy 1 (one) complimentary night's accommodation at participating* African Pride Hotels, when you spend one night on your Prokard rate.
*Please note: The non-participating African Pride Hotels are: African Pride Mosselberg on Grotto, African Pride Pumba, African Pride The Sands.
All complimentary e-Vouchers previously issued as part of the Gold Membership Package will be honoured until their original expiry date (except paper vouchers and South African bonus stamps which shall no longer be valid).
Prokard membership packages, and Prokard Benefits, including Voucher packages, are reviewed annually and are, accordingly, subject to change on an annual basis in the sole discretion of Protea Hotels and Prokard.
To view our portfolio of Protea Hotels, please refer to our Hotel & Restaurant Guide on www.proteahotels.com.
- The first night of your 2 (two) night stay must be spent on your discounted Prokard rate only (10% (ten percent) discount). Special Prokard offers or weekend rates do not apply.
- These Vouchers are for accommodation in 1 (one) standard double room only and do not include meals or beverages.
- Complimentary accommodation is granted on a first come, first served basis. All hotels have a limited number of rooms available each month for this benefit.
- At certain hotels, due to high demand and at the discretion of the hotel's management, complimentary accommodation may not be granted over public holidays, school holidays or during any major sporting event, festival or peak period. Certain hotels may only accept complimentary accommodation reservations during the week or over weekends.
- Your Voucher may not be used in conjunction with any other complimentary accommodation vouchers.
- Only 1 (one) Voucher may be accepted per stay.
- Your Voucher will only be honoured if accommodation is booked in advance.
- Any extension of stay following the use of your Voucher will be offered on the best available Prokard related rate per day as bookable via the hotel or our Central Reservations Office on 0861 11 9000.
- These Vouchers may not be exchanged.
- Vouchers are valid for 18 (eighteen) months from the date of first issue (being the date that the Voucher is first loaded onto your Prokard profile) and may only be used if you are a fully paid-up Gold Member.
- Vouchers may only be used to book accommodation at a Participating Hotel. If any booking made with a Voucher is thereafter cancelled, for any reason whatsoever, the period of validity of the Voucher continues from the date of first issue thereof and is not re-issued on the date of cancellation of the booking. Vouchers may only be redeemed while the beneficiary is a fully paid-up Gold Member. If a Voucher has expired after the booking has been made and the booking is thereafter cancelled, the Voucher will not be reinstated.
Only e-Vouchers are issued by Prokard. Paper vouchers are no longer valid (notwithstanding that such vouchers may not contain an expiry date).
Vouchers have no cash surrender value.
The use of Vouchers is subject to the standard terms and conditions and rights of admission of Protea Hotels and/or the Participating Hotels.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES – COMPLIMENTARY SILVER MEMBERSHIP
Government employees may apply for complimentary Silver Prokard membership.
A valid Government employee number is required to be submitted with the Prokard application.
PREFERENTIAL PLATINUM RATES (Platinum Members Only)
Prokard Platinum Members receive 15% (fifteen percent) discount off the best available public rate of the day at all Participating Hotels in South Africa, including peak season, and a 5% (five percent) discount off any special offer rate advertised on proteahotels.com and our weekend rates ("Prokard Discounted Rates"). Prokard Platinum Members also receive 25% (twenty five percent) discount off the best available public rate of the day at all hotels outside of South Africa which form part of the Prokard portfolio, but which do not accept Prokard Rands.
COMPLIMENTARY VOUCHERS (Platinum Members Only)
Prokard Platinum Members will receive the following package of complimentary vouchers annually:
- 1 (one) x Complimentary Night Voucher – Enjoy 1 (one) complimentary night's accommodation at any Protea Hotel.
- 1 (one) x Complimentary Night Voucher – Enjoy 1 (one) complimentary night's accommodation at any African Pride Hotel.
Protea Hotels does not support referral selling and will not incentivise Members for referrals.
MARRIOTT REWARDS PROGRAMME
The Marriott Rewards Programme will, for the time being, remain entirely separate and cannot be used in any Protea Hotels or Africa Pride-branded hotels. Similarly, Prokard cannot be used to earn or redeem Prokard Benefits (including Prokard Rands) at the various hotel brands that fall under Marriott International.
Please ensure that you provide accurate and current personal information such as your full name/s, email address and telephone number when registering as a Prokard Member and to update your personal information if it changes.
Protea Hotels is committed to ensuring that any personal information submitted by you is treated with the utmost privacy and confidentiality. Protea Hotels has reasonable safeguards in place to protect your personal information when such information is submitted, accessed, stored or handled by Protea Hotels. Protea Hotels undertakes never to use, sell or make available your personal information to any third party unless allowed or compelled to do so by applicable law or with your prior written consent.
Protea Hotels will provide Prokard Members with access to their personal information to view and/or update personal details. Upon request, Protea Hotels will remove your personal information from its records, provided that you have verified your identity to Protea Hotels and terminated your Prokard membership. To request a cancellation or to opt-out of receiving any marketing or promotional material, Prokard Members must send an e-mail to the following email address: email@example.com or call 0861 11 9000 or +27 21 4305000.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
These Terms & Conditions contain links or references to partner benefits on third party websites ("Third Party Websites") which are outside of our control. Protea Hotels is not responsible for the practices and/or privacy policies of those Third Party Websites or the "cookies" that those sites may use.
Notwithstanding the fact that these Terms & Conditions may refer to or provide links to Third Party Websites, your use of such Third Party Websites is entirely at your own risk and Protea Hotels is not responsible for any loss, expense, claim or damage, whether direct, indirect or consequential, arising from your use of such Third Party Websites or your reliance on any information contained thereon.
These Terms & Conditions are binding and enforceable against all Prokard Members. A breach of any of these Terms & Conditions by you entitles Protea Hotels to take appropriate legal action against you.
These Terms & Conditions are governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
You agree that your domicilia citandi et executandi ("domicilium") will be the address provided by you when you registered as a Prokard Member for the purposes of receiving any written notices in respect of these Terms & Conditions. You may, by written notice to Protea Hotels vary your domicilium to any other address which is not a post office box. Should you have any questions or queries under these Terms & Conditions, please contact Protea Hotels at 0861 11 9000 or +27 21 4305000.
All provisions and the various clauses of these Terms & Conditions are, notwithstanding the manner in which they have been grouped together or linked grammatically, severable from each other. Any provision or clause of these Terms & Conditions, which is or becomes unenforceable in any jurisdiction, whether due to voidness, invalidity, illegality, unlawfulness or for any other reason whatever, shall, in such jurisdiction only and only to the extent that it is so unenforceable, be treated as pro non scripto and the remaining provisions and clauses of these Terms & Conditions shall remain of full force and effect.
Refer A Friend - Terms and Conditions